Sunday, May 03, 2009

Updated: Service for LTSP Emeritus Professor The Rev. Dr. Robert E. Bornemann set

Updated: The Rev. Dr Robert E. Bornemann, Anna Burkhalter Professor Emeritus of Old Testament and Hebrew at The Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia (LTSP), died the morning of Good Shepherd Sunday, May 3, at his home at 7148 Crittenden Street, Philadelphia, PA 19119. He died peacefully, and his wife Agnes and his family were able to be with him. The Memorial Service of Celebration for Dr. Bornemann is Thursday, May 7 at 1:30pm, Trinity Lutheran Church, 5300 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia (Germantown), PA 19144.

Rest eternal grant him, O Lord; and let light perpetual shine upon him.

Please keep Dr. Bornemann's wife, Agnes, their children, John, Annamary, Elizabeth, Katherine, and their grandchildren in your prayers.

Memories of Dr. Bornemann will be posted online soon. To be notified when they are posted, sign up at www.Ltsp.edu/enews

There is also a comment thread growing on the LTSP Facebook page.

3 comments:

peter said...

I and my classmates were privileged to have studied under Dr. Bornemann in the early 1960s. I have been living and teaching in Japan for almost 40 years and only recently I knew of the deaths of Dr. Lazareth and Dr. Reumann, both articulate scholars and, as such intimidating for us novices in their classroom presence.
With Dr.Bornemann's passing. all of our mentors, teachers, and paradigms of scholarship in those days are gone. We were so fortunate to have known them, even though in knowing them we became acutely aware of our own ignorance.
I am certainly not alone in my sense of gratitude to them.

Peter Walter Schumacher
Kyoto, Japan

Anonymous said...

He was my Hebrew and Old Testament prof, but I had the blessing of being called "Pastor" by him, and the priviledge of addressing him as "Bob."

He gave me the courage to simply write my own Alleluia verse when I wanted/needed something that wasn't already published.

He will always be the voice in my ear when working up a sermon on an OT scripture.

Bob was the greatest. I will miss him, but his spirit lives on in those of us whom he touched.

Barbara Berry-Bailey
Chicago, IL

Alec Bornemann said...

I want to thank all of you who posted comments about my Grandfather. I greatly enjoyed reading all of these stories. I only knew my Grandfather in a family sense so I never was able to experience the times so many of you had with him. There are some things that you learn about people only after they are gone. I would like to make a book of some of these stories for my father John, my Aunts Annamary, Kate, Elizabeth, and of course with my Grandmother Agnes. Please contact me with any great experiences (and photos) you had with or of my grandfather at abornemann@vtc.edu any input will be greatly appreciated.
Alec Bornemann