Wednesday, August 14, 2013

PS Portions Back-to-School: Adult Learning and more!

subscribe to the PS Portions email list - click here

A Taste of Seminary Happenings

Back-to-School 2013

From President Phil Krey 
Saying Thanks and Reviving Adult Learning

By now I am sure that many or most of you have heard I will be stepping down as President after the 150th anniversary celebration of the seminary in October of 2014. So many of you have written or otherwise contacted me to express your appreciation for my nearly 15 years of service. Thank you!

We are reviving our continuing education and adult learning initiative (known a few years ago as the Faith and Life Institute) as Adult Learning, coordinated by Kathie Afflerbach. We want everyone to know he/she is welcome to take courses to fulfill his/her aspirations for continuing education and adult learning at the seminary. Learn more about our many opportunities for adult learning...

The Rev. Dr. John Hoffmeyer: Looking forward to Teaching the Seminary's New Curriculum 
Ten years ago, the Rev. Dr. John Hoffmeyer had key responsibilities for overseeing the development of the then "new" curriculum. More recently he and the Rev. Dr. David D. Grafton, associate professor, Islamic Studies and Christian-Muslim Relations (also director of Graduate Studies), have co-chaired the latest curriculum edition that begins this fall semester. What excites him about teaching it

"We always want to remember that our purpose is to form students who will be challenged to communicate the Gospel in word and deed to those whose lives they touch," he said. "We have discovered new ways to teach based on our learning and assessments over the past 10 years, and we think this discovery gives our faculty renewed energy and passion."

Project Sponsor Scholar and Program Update 
A new initiative designed to help donors build a relationship with a seminarian while also providing the opportunity for financial support to that student is already attracting sponsors eager to support LTSP enrollees. Read about one of our new Project Sponsor Scholars here.

Fund for Leadership Scholar Excited to Embark on her Seminary Studies at LTSP 
"This is so exciting! I can't wait to begin my time at LTSP!" Jessica Morton said. "I felt the call to ministry midway through my junior year of college. I am so eager to begin the MAPL (Master of Arts in Public Leadership) Program at LTSP as I feel there is so much more to learn about the church and its people."

No comments: